• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

Tel 020 3326 1255 



How To Complain About A Health Or Social Care Service


We know that it can be hard to know where to start when making a complaint. Our team at Healthwatch Kingston can't make a complaint for you, but we can signpost you in the direction of who to complain to, and who can help you make your complaint. You can also use our Speak Out  form to tell us about your experience of health and social care services. We will use this information to identify trends in and around the Kingston borough.  

1. Contact the service provider directly e.g. the practice manager at your GP surgery. This is often the most useful place to complain as the service can investigate the complaint and explain to you what has happened from within the service. To complain about hospital service you have received you can contact the relevant hospital trust such as Kingston or St. George's. If the issue you are complaining about involves more than one service you only need to complain to one service and it will be investigated within all of the services involved. 

2. If you are not happy with the response you get to your complaint to a service, of alternatively, you can complain to whoever commissions the service.

  • If your complaint is about primary care services such as GPs, dentists, opticians or pharmacy services, contact NHS England.
  • If your complaint is about services such as hospital care, mental health services, out of hours services and community services such as district nursing, contact your local clinical commissioning group (CCG)
  • If your complaint is about public health organisations (those who provide services which prevent disease, promote health and prolong life), contact your local council

3. If you are not happy with the response you receive to this complaint the next step is to make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

If you need any more advice on how to complain please Contact Us.

If you are complaining on behalf of someone else you will need their written authorisation to do so.

Please note that the above information refers to complaints that are made about services that use public money. The procedures to complain to a fully privately funded service would differ and you would need to contact them directly. 

Complaints advocacy 

If you live in the Kingston Borough and need further help to make your complaint please contact POhWER who provide independent complaints advocacy for those who wish to complain about NHS services. 

if you live in Surrey and need further help to make your complaint you can contact Surrey Independent Living Council who provide independent health complaints advocacy in Surrey in partnership with Healthwatch Surrey. 





Kingston Quaker Centre 

Fairfield East
Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames is managed by the charitable company 'Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames', registered charity no. 1159377, company registered in England and Wales no. 08429159