Tel 020 3326 1255
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BECOMING A TRUSTEE?
Are you passionate about local health and social care services and believe patients and the public must be involved in their development?
Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames is your local consumer champion for health and social care.
We are an independent charitable company set up to help patients, users, carers and the general public to contribute to the design, delivery and improvement of local health and social care services.
There is a Healthwatch in every local authority area in the country. Like all Healthwatches, we have statutory powers to visit health and social care services, to make recommendations and require a response. And we have a seat on Kingston’s Health and Wellbeing Board.
Much of our work is done by our active affiliates through our task groups on mental health, hospital and community services. We also run meetings and seminars to provide information and seek views. And we have a seat on Kingston Council’s Health Overview Panel.
We are looking to recruit volunteer (unpaid) board members as directors/trustees. You will need to share our passion for maintaining Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames as a well-informed and influential ‘consumer champion’. You will need drive, energy and leadership qualities. We would particularly welcome applications from people who have fundraising, finance, HR and/or legal experience. Board experience and knowledge of governance arrangements would also be very useful as would knowledge of the health and/or social care sector. And we are particularly keen to attract nominees with an understanding of services for Children and Young People or from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background, or someone who identifies themselves as LGBT.
The board of directors/trustees is responsible for the development of organisational strategy, the approval of annual plans, the management of finances, the development and implementation of our policies and procedures and the management and support of a small staff team. The board is also responsible for ensuring that the organisation fulfils its obligations under company law, charity law and our contract with the Royal Borough of Kingston.
The board meets every 6-8 weeks and the trustees/directors also represent the organisation at other meetings.
Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames
Trustee Person Specification
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following:
- A commitment to the aims of Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames
- A commitment to upholding the Nolan principles for conduct in public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- An ability to understand, analyse interpret and absorb complex information
- An ability to think creatively and criticise constructively
- Excellent all-round communication skills and the ability to actively contribute to discussion and debate
- Good, independent judgement, objectivity and impartiality
- An ability to work as a member of a team, while contributing an independent perspective
- Skills and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: management, finance, accountancy, business, law, health and/or social care
- An understanding of the role of strategies, plans, policies and procedures in supporting effective governance
- A broad understanding of financial risk, control and governance issues for charities
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to being an effective director/trustee.
Before appointment, applicants will also be:
· required to confirm that they are not disqualified from being a company director or charity trustee – see details at:
· asked about any roles they have that may result in potential conflicts of interest
· required to complete a satisfactory DBS check.
Please send a CV detailing your relevant experience and a covering letter explaining how you meet the person specification above along with two referees Attn: HWK TRUSTEE APPLICATION to our Chief Officer at email@example.com
Closing date: 09.00 Monday 22 October 2018
Interviews: End of October 2018
For further information
Call: 0203 326 1255,
By submitting your CV and application covering letter for consideration, you understand that you give your consent for Healthwatch Kingston upon Thames to process your data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legislation, which replaced the Data Protection Act 1998 and became law on 25th May 2018.