Research shows the best way to change attitudes is through conversation. Champions share their own experiences of mental health problems (as much as they feel comfortable to) to change how we all think and act about mental health.
Who can be a champion?
To be a Champion, you need to
- Have lived experience of mental health problems. This can be diagnosed or undiagnosed, past or present.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Want to act to reduce mental health stigma and discrimination in the Kingston borough.
Why be a Champion?
- It gives you the opportunity to be at the heart of our campaign to change people's attitudes towards mental illness in Kingston
- It is a role where you can build skills and experience in public speaking, planning activities and campaigning on social media
- You will meet and campaign alongside like-minded people in your community
- Time to Change will provide access to free training to support you in speaking out and making a difference
Anyone with lived experience of mental health problems who wants to campaign to change the way people think and act about mental health.
What will I have to do?
Every Champion does different things to help people around them to understand and learn about mental illness.
You can contribute as much or as little time as you wish or are able to
Some of the things you could do as a Champion include:
- Having conversations - talking about mental health and your own experience - whether that's with your mum, a mate or the postman!
- Speaking up and challenging false or damaging stereotypes about mental illness
- Sharing your story on social media
- Forming campaigning groups with other Champions to campaign against stigma
- Running an activity or event in your community
- Shaping our work at Time to Change Kingston by being part of the Steering Group or working groups.
Don’t be daunted by these activities though. When you become a Time To Change Champion you can receive training from Time to Change and support from the Kingston Champions’ network and Hub Co-ordinator. We will be happy to walk you through the process and help you with any concerns you may have. We want to make sure that people who have lived experience of mental health problems feel confident to hold meaningful conversations with people who haven’t, to tackle the misconceptions and negative stereotypes around mental health.
How to become a Champion?
Step 1: Register your interest here with the Hub Coordinator: email@example.com
Step 2: Sign up to be a Champion here: https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/get-involved/time-change-champions/become-champion/register-become-champion
Step 3: Get your free t-shirt here: https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/get-involved/time-change-champions/5-ways-champion/activities/order-your-champion-campaign-t-shirt
Step 4: Find an event or meeting to come along to or email firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you can get involved
Step 5: Check out our resources for Champions: https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/node/103500
Please get in touch if you have any question regarding signing up to be a Champion.